Tom and Jerry (labelled in international markets as Tom & Jerry: The Movie) is an live-action/animated film based on the cartoon characters and animated theatrical short film series of the same name, and will be produced by Warner Animation Group. It was released on February 26, 2021 by Warner Bros. Pictures and digitally on HBO Max for a month on that same date.
After countless years of conflict, Tom Cat and Jerry Mouse relocate to New York City for a fresh start. Tom, who dreams of becoming a pianist, plays in Central Park acting as a blind cat to attract people while Jerry is in search of a new home. During one of Tom's performances, Jerry picks a fight with him which ends with Tom's piano destroyed, Jerry running off and Tom clashing with a gang of alley cats led by Butch.
Kayla Forester is a young woman who does odd jobs. She ends up bumping into Tom while he is chasing Jerry which makes the clothes she is delivering very messy, getting herself fired. Distraught, Kayla visits the Royal Gate Hotel and ends up with the task of helping Terrance Mendoza, an event manager, with a high-profile wedding by using a stolen resume. At the same time, Jerry takes up residence at the hotel where his regular shenanigans involve stealing food and items to ramp up his new lifestyle.
As the wedding couple, Preeta Mehta and her fiancé Ben, along with their pets Spike and Toots arrive at the hotel, Kayla and Terrence both greet them. Kayla charms the couple, unaware of Jerry stealing from Preeta's handbag. As the couple are escorted to their rooms, Jerry's presence is made known which puts the wedding at risk. Kayla offers to help catch Jerry without anyone knowing which impresses Henry DuBros, the owner of Royal Gate Hotel. In her pursuit to catch Jerry, Kayla befriends Cameron, a bartender, and also realizes Jerry won't be easy to catch.
Meanwhile, a depressed Tom falls into despair until he notices Jerry inside one of the hotel rooms. Filled with rage, Tom goes after him, with the two ending up fighting and wrecking the whole room. Kayla comes to check due to noise complaints and befriends Tom because Kayla has the same goal of catching Jerry. Kayla persuades DuBros to hire Tom, and DuBros hires him, despite Terrance’s disagreement.
After trapping Jerry with a few scuffles, Tom succeeds in packing him out of the hotel. Meanwhile, Kayla learns from Preeta that her engagement ring is missing and offers to help without Ben knowing, sparking a friendship between them. Learning that Tom has gotten rid of Jerry, Kayla celebrates with Cameron while Tom plays the piano. However, Jerry returns and drops a bowling ball on Tom, which Kayla notices. Jerry reveals that he had Preeta’s ring with him and agrees to give it back to her if Kayla lets him stay.
Before Kayla can agree, Terrence returns from walking Spike in an uproar. Jerry hides in Kayla’s coat pocket, which Terrence tries to look into but creates a huge scene with Spike, Tom, and Jerry messing up the hotel reception. Terrance is put on leave while Kayla takes over as event manager. However, Tom and Jerry’s shenanigans almost put Kayla’s job at risk until she puts aside the cat and mouse’s differences and tells them that they have to get along and spend a whole day together tomorrow as far away from the hotel, to which they agree, if they want to stay in the hotel.
Tom and Jerry bond during their trip while Kayla sets everything up for the wedding. Unfortunately, the two are taken to a pet compound when they inadvertently disrupt a baseball game. When Terrance visits Tom and Jerry, he feeds lies about the duo, separately angering them. At the start of the wedding, Terrance incites Tom and Jerry to fight, ultimately ruining the wedding and leading to Kayla quitting and Tom being kicked out of the hotel by Terrence.
Knowing that it is their fault the wedding was ruined, Tom and Jerry finally put aside their differences and decide to try and fix everything. After they convince Kayla, everyone and Terrence, who reconciles with Kayla, make a plan. Tom and Jerry pursue Preeta on an electric skateboard and led her to Ben. The end result is that the wedding ends up better than planned, at the park. Preeta and Ben open up with each other while Kayla, along with the girl from which she stole the resume, gets the job at the hotel.
As the film ends, the wedding continues as planned until a mishap caused by Jerry reignites his longtime battle with Tom, causing the cat and mouse to return back to their old habits of antagonizing each other.
Ben receives the bills from both weddings in a post-credit scene, in which DuBros replies, “It doesn’t look good for you”. Terrance says, “Thank you for choosing the royal gate,” to Ben and leaves with DuBros.
- Tom Cat
- Jerry Mouse
- Spike Bulldog
- The Goldfish
- Malcolm The Elephant
- Cecil The Elephant
- Butch Cat
- Topsy Cat
- Lightning Cat
- Meathead Cat
- Droopy (cameo)
- Screwy Squirrel (cameo)
- Seagull (cameo)
- William Hanna, Mel Blanc (Archive audio) and Frank Welker as Tom Cat
- William Hanna, Mel Blanc, June Foray (Archive audio) and Frank Welker as Jerry Mouse
- Chloë Grace Moretz as Kayla
- Michael Peña as Terrance
- Colin Jost as Ben
- Ken Jeong as Jackie
- Rob Delaney as DuBros
- Pallavi Sharda as Preeta
- Jordan Bolger as Cameron
- Patsy Ferran as Joy
- Nicky Jam as Butch Cat
- Bobby Cannavale as Spike Bulldog
- Lil Rel Howery as Tom's shoulder devil and angel
- Ozuna as Assistant Hotel Staff
- Christina Chong as Lola
- Camilla Arfwedson as Linda Perrybottom
- Kerri McLean as News Reporter
- Camilla Rutherford as Wealthy Woman
- Daniel Adegboyega as Gavin
- Obie Matthew as Wedding Guest
- Janis Ahern as Mrs. Erickson
- Joakim Skarli as Chef
- Grant Crookes as Driver
- Chelsea Li as Hotel Bar Guest
- Joelle Koissi as New York Resident
- Daniel Eghan as New York Citizen
- Tina Louise Owens as New York resident
- Ty Hurley as Hotel Guest
- Ajay Chhabra as Mr. Mehta
- Joey Wells as Lightning Cat
- Harry Ratchford as Topsy Cat
- Na'im Lynn as Meathead Cat
- Utkarsh Ambudkar as Real Estate Rat
- Tim Story as Pigeon Announcer
- Spank Horton as Ash
- Brock Baker as Droopy
- T-Pain as Tom's singing voice
Warner Bros. is planning to bring "Tom and Jerry" to life as CGI characters that run around in live-action settings. The adaptation will adapt the classic Hanna-Barbera property as an origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home.
On April 6, 2015 a new theatrical feature film was announced. It will be completely animated and will be "in the same vein" as the source material. Cate Adams and Jesse Ehrman will oversee the movie.
However, in October 2018, it was announced that it will instead be a live action/animated hybrid film and will begin filming at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden later in 2019.
In April 2019, Chloë Grace Moretz joined the cast as Kayla, a girl who works at a hotel that gets occupied by Jerry, forcing her to bring in Tom to get rid of him.
In May 2019, Michael Peña joined the cast as the antagonist, Terrance, the deputy general manager of the hotel.
In July 2019, Colin Jost joined the cast as Ben, a boy who has a crush on Preeta. Later in the month, Ken Jeong, Gabriel Iglesias, Rob Delaney, Jordan Bolger and Pallavi Sharda joined the cast.
Patsy Ferran was revealed to be part of the cast in September.
In October 2019, the film's release date has been changed to December of 2020.
In June 2020, the film's release date has been changed to March of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On July 18, 2020, the first look at Tom and Jerry’s designs in the film were released along with the logo. They have received positive reviews from fans of the franchise.
On September 1, 2020, it was announced that Australian toy company Moose Toys made a deal with Warner Bros. to make merchandise for the film.
On October 20, 2020, the MPAA rating for the film has been leaked. Confirmed to be rated PG for cartoon violence, rude humor, and brief language.
On October 21, 2020, director Tim Story has confirmed the first trailer for the film to officially arrive on November 17, 2020.
On October 25, 2020, a French version of the trailer was leaked online.
On October 28, 2020, it is confirmed that Tom and Jerry will appear floating on this year's American 94th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade to promote the upcoming movie.
On November 12, 2020, a teaser trailer was released online.
On November 14 2020, an Arabic subtitled trailer was released online by Cartoon Network MENA
On November 16, 2020, the poster for the movie was released. It was also announced that the trailer will get released on November 17, 2020.
On November 17, 2020, the trailer was released online with a picture of Chloe Grace Moretz being in the movie.
On November 18, 2020, Nicky Jam confirmed himself as a voice role in the film, later revealed to be Butch.
On December 1, 2020, It was confirmed that Spike, the Goldfish, and Toodles Galore will also appear, as evidenced by leaked footage on Framestore's website.
On December 3, 2020, WarnerMedia announced that all of their films would be made available for streaming on HBO Max the same day as their theatrical release, including this movie.
On December 14, 2020, the film's release date has been changed to February 26, 2021.
On December 24, 2020, A new poster for the film was released.
On December 30, 2020, Bobby Cannavale and Danny Trejo has a role sets in the movie but wasn't officially announced until February 6, 2021.
On January 8, 2021, Two artworks of Tom and Spike was revealed online for the movie.
On January 12, 2021, An another trailer was updated and uploaded.
On January 13, 2021, More new posters was released.
On January 27, 2021, a new TV spot revealed that actor Tone Bell will voice the shoulder angel for Tom and Lil Rel Howery voicing Tom's shoulder devil.
On February 15, 2021, The Cartoon Network YouTube Channel uploaded a sneak peek from The Tom and Jerry Movie.
- This is the third Tom and Jerry film to be released in theaters. The first being Tom and Jerry: The Movie and the second being Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry that was theatrically released in select cities of the U.S. by Kidtoon Films. Although, this will be the second Tom and Jerry film made specifically for worldwide theatrical release.
- The film marks the third time where the animated characters Tom and Jerry make an appearance with real life humans, after 1945's Anchors Aweigh and 1953's Dangerous When Wet, but is the first film where they are the focus rather than making a cameo appearance in a brief sequence.
- The movie will be directed by Tim Story, an avid fan of Tom and Jerry, and this will be the first film he worked on that is aimed at a family-oriented audience.
- This film will also be dedicated to Gene Deitch.
- The movie is set to take place in Manhattan, hence as a homage to Mouse in Manhattan.
- While the movie is going to be a Roger Rabbit-esque film, the animation treatment will be stylized CGI animation that will have the look and feel of vintage 2D animation, promised to be in the vein of the classic shorts from the late-40s to early-50s, in both the character designs, and the overall character animation.
- To avoid criticisms from the original animated film, Tom and Jerry are confirmed not to have voice actors (outside of Archive Recordings) as usual.
- This is Warner Animation Group's second film to be a movie adaptation of a particular source material owned by Warner Bros., following Scoob!.
- The movie is directed by Tim Story, and this will be the first film he worked on that is aimed at a much younger audience.
- This is the first Tom and Jerry film to be rated PG by the MPAA.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to have a domestic theatrical release since 2019's The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part since Scoob was released straight-to-video and streaming (NOTE: Scoob was originally intended to have a domestic theatrical release last year, but was shelved until May 21, 2021 due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic).
- The 1999 Warner Bros Pictures and 2017 Warner Animation Group logo combo with the 2021 byline only appeared in the trailer, as instead, they use the 2021 Warner Bros Pictures and Warner Animation Group logo combo.
- This is the first film to use the 2021 Warner Animation Group logo.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to be released in theaters and on HBO Max on the same day.
- This is the third time Jerry's vocal effects are provided by Frank Welker after Tom & Jerry Kids and Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring.
- Thus, it is also the second time Tom's vocal effects are provided by Welker after Tom & Jerry Kids.
- This is the shortest advertised Warner Animation Group film in motion picture history, due to 3-month gap between its only trailer and its official release.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to be produced in a taller 1.85:1 aspect ratio, unlike the company's previous films that were produced in a 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio.
- This is the first Warner Animation Group film to have the opening credits.