The Morning After is a 1986 American mystery film directed by Sidney Lumet and starring Jane Fonda, Jeff Bridges and Raul Julia. Fonda was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance.
A washed-up, alcoholic actress, Alex Sternbergen (played by Fonda), wakes up on Thanksgiving 1986 next to a murdered man, a sleazy photographer. She feels sick and remembers nothing from the night before. She calls her friend Jackie about what happened the night before. (We find out later that he is her husband, they are separated.) He informs her that she missed out on getting what could have been her best gig in a while the night before because she was drunk and rude. She tells him about the body. He tells her to call the cops and she says that she is scared but he insists, telling her it will be all right. She retorts saying "ya wanna bet?" She leaves the apartment, and it is implied that she has not called the police. While trying to flee at the airport, Alex encounters an ex-policeman, Turner (Jeff Bridges), who believes in her innocence. Raúl Juliá plays Jackie, a hairdresser who wants to divorce her, as he has fallen in love with socialite Isabel Harding (Diane Salinger).
- Jane Fonda as Alexandra "Alex" Sternbergen / Viveca Van Loren
- Jeff Bridges as Turner Kendall
- Raul Julia as Joaquin "Jackie" Manero, Alex's husband
- Diane Salinger as Isabel Harding, Jackie's new lover
- Richard Foronjy as Sgt. Herb Greenbaum
- Bruce Vilanch as Harry, the bartender
- Geoffrey Scott as Bobby Korshack
- James Haake as Frankie, a drag queen and friend of Alex's
- Don Hood as Mr. Hurley, the lawyer
- Corey Everson as Miss Olympia
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Red, Jackie's assistant at his salon
- Kathy Bates as Korshack's neighbor
- Frances Bergen as Mrs. Harding, Isabel's mother
The film holds a 71% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- ↑ Script error at Box Office Mojo
- ↑ Canby, Vincent (1986-12-25). "Movie Review FILM: FONDA AND BRIDGES IN 'THE MORNING AFTER". (en) www.nytimes.com.
- ↑ Ebert, Roger. "The Morning After Movie Review (1986) | Roger Ebert". (en) www.rogerebert.com.
- ↑ "The Morning After (Rotten Tomatoes)".. Rotten Tomatoes.
- ↑ "Academy Awards Database".. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved on 2013-01-31. Script error
- ↑ "The Morning After".. IMDB. Retrieved on 2013-01-13.