The Magic of Belle Isle is a 2012 drama film directed by Rob Reiner and written by Guy Thomas. The film stars Morgan Freeman, Virginia Madsen, Emma Fuhrmann, Madeline Carroll, Kenan Thompson, Nicolette Pierini, Kevin Pollak and Fred Willard. The film was released on July 6, 2012, by Magnolia Pictures. In the UK the film was entitled 'Once More'.
Monte Wildhorn (Freeman) is a famous Western novelist whose struggle to cope with the death of his wife six years earlier has sapped his passion for writing, and has caused him to begin drinking heavily. He takes a lakeside cabin for the summer in picturesque Belle Isle, and befriends the family next door—an attractive single mother (Madsen) and her young daughters, who help him find inspiration again.
- Morgan Freeman as Monte Wildhorn
- Virginia Madsen as Charlotte O'Neil
- Emma Fuhrmann as Finnegan "Finn" O'Neil
- Madeline Carroll as Willow O'Neil
- Nicolette Pierini as Flora "Flor" O'Neil
- Kenan Thompson as Henry
- Kevin Pollak as Joe Viola
- Fred Willard as Al Kaiser
- Ash Christian as Carl Loop
- Jessica Hecht as Karen Loop
- Boyd Holbrook as Luke Ford
The Magic of Belle Isle was filmed in the village of Greenwood Lake, New York in July 2011.
The Magic of Belle Isle received negative reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 30%, based on 33 reviews, with a rating of 4.9/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 46 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray on September 18 2012, and is currently available on Netflix Streaming.
- "The Magic of Belle Isle (2012)".. Box Office Mojo (2012-09-06). Retrieved on 2012-09-27.
- "The Magic of Belle Isle (2012)".. Retrieved on 2015-06-10.
- "The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews".. Metacritic (2012-07-06). Retrieved on 2015-06-10.
- "Magic of Belle Isle: Morgan Freeman, Virginia Madsen, Rob Reiner: Movies & TV".. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2015-06-10.
- Script error: No such module "Official website".