The Eye of the Storm
[We hear a sputnik beeping as we see the standard WB shield zooming in from the darkness and into the red looney tunes rings. The banner appears around the shield with the words "FEATURE ANIMATION", and the shield comes to a stop. The byline "A TIME WARNER ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY" fades in afterwards, and the logo darkens as it fades away as the sputnik beeping sounds begins to disappear to silence. "WARNER BROS. presents" fades in on-screen for a few second and fades out and the film's title fades in and it zooms in slowly and then rapidly towards the viewer.]
[Then it cuts to space, the sputnik orbits from the distance to the right and to the left towards the viewer as the camera pans to reveal the planet earth and the sunrise. "EARTH 1957" fades in below, and fades out afterwards. The storm is brewing around the side of North America, the sputnik orbits away and the camera pans past the moon and we see a bright dot in the distance. It zooms in rapidly past the viewer to reveal itself as a comet and the camera pans back to planet earth where the comet is heading towards the eye of the storm. The camera zooms in towards the storm, and the flash transitions the scene to the an ocean waving rapidly. "SOMEWHERE OFF THE COAST OF MAINE" appears below, and fades out as a boat appears in the ocean.]
- Earl Stutz: Mayday! Mayday! [the scene changes to Earl piloting his boat] This is the Annabelle. I've lost my bearings! I'm taking on water. My last good reading is 44 degrees north, 68 degrees.... [he begins to notice the comet crashing landing in the distance]
- Voice on the radio: Portland Station to Annabelle. What is your position?
- Earl Stutz: [grabbing the radio to reply] I don't know exactly. Off the coast somewhere near Rockwell! Wait. [he notices a lightbeam in the distance] The lighthouse! I see it!
[The lightbeam turns around and another lightbeam appears, Earl's relived look fades away. The boat then crashes into the metallic structure, causing the hull to break apart and Earl to fall through the window and on deck. Earl looks up and gasps and as the camera pans upwards to reveal the silhouette of a giant robot with glowing white eyes. Earl slowly backs away, but the waves engulf him and wash him off the boat. Earl begins to swim up the surface as the boat sinks, the waves crash into the rocky cliff and they drain away to reveal Earl had made it on one of the rocks. He looks up as the camera pans up several rocky features to see an actual lighthouse, its lightbeam engulfs the screen.]
Rocket in Pocket
[It transitions to a bright early morning sunrise in Rockwell. The camera pans through the pier and zooms towards the hill, a young boy who is Hogarth Hughes cycles down the street and stops outside Chat 'n' Chew diner. He enters the diner and looks around to see if his mother is around]
- Annie: Over here, honey!
[Hogarth notices his mother at the bar and he approaches it with a box in his arm]
- Hogarth: Hey, Mom! You won't believe our good luck. Guess what I found?
- Annie: Hogarth, we've been through this before. No pets.
- Hogarth: But he's not a pet, Mom. He's a friend.
- Annie: Hogarth, we've got to rent a room this year if we're gonna make ends meet, and no one wants to live in a place with shredded upholstery.
- Hogarth: You'll never know he's there. I'll keep him in a cage.
- Annie: Until you feel sorry for him and set him free... in the house. You remember the raccoon, Hogarth? [Shudders] I remember the raccoon.
- Hogarth: Please, Mom, at least look at him.
- Annie: All right. Where is this guy?
[Hogarth turns to the box, but he discovers it empty and the lid opened. Thankfully, his mom didn't notice, because she is busy talking to another waitress.]
- Hogarth: I will go get him, okay?
[He leaves the bar to start looking around the diner under tables. He approaches one with a man behind the newspaper]
- Hogarth: Excuse me. Excuse me. Sir? Excuse me--! [he brings down the newspaper away from the man's face to find that he is actually sleeping. The man is Dean McCoppin, who wakes up.]
- Dean: What's that?
- Hogarth: Please don't move. My pet's under your table. [Dean is about to look underneath] Don't look! If you make a scene, my mom won't let me keep him.
- Dean: What kind of pet, kid?
- Hogarth: A squirrel. He's friendly.
[Then, they hear Earl talking to his friends about what happened to him last night.]
- Earl Stutz: I'm telling the truth, dang it! It came from outer space. I saw it. And it was headed toward land. I called the government in Washington about it. Maybe it was a Sputnik or an invader from Mars. That's what it is. It's an invader from Mars! A spaceship of some kind. An unidentified flying object.
- Patron: Unidentified? Knowing you, Earl, I'd say it was either whiskey or beer.
[they laugh at him]
- Dean: Hey. [they turn to Dean] I saw it too.
[The patrons look at Dean suspiciously and turn away]
- Patron: I rest my case.
[They laugh again, Dean sighs in annoyance]
- Hogarth: I believe you. What if it is Sputnik? [Dean takes off his sunglasses, unbeknown to them, a squirrel looks up Dean's trouser leg] Or a flying saucer from Mars? I bet we could find it.
- Dean: Sorry, kid. I didn't really see anything. But if we don't stick up for the kooks, who will?
- Annie: [walking by] Is my son bothering you, sir?
[Suddenly, Dean's eyes widen, and he grits his teeth awkwardly.]
- Dean: Yes, I mean No! [he bangs the table] Call me Dean.
[Hogarth and his mom look dumbfounded]
- Annie: Hogarth, you were going to get your pet, honey?
- Hogarth: I will, Mom. Right after I finish talking with--
- Dean: Dean.
[Annie leaves to go back to the bar.]
- Dean: Found your pet.
- Hogarth: Where?
- Dean: It's in my leg, man. Squirrel's up my pants, Hogarth. I'm trying not to wig out here.
- Hogarth: Don't wig out.
[Dean begins to jolt uncontrollably]
- Dean: Okay. He's heading north now. I'm sorry, kid. [he gets up from the table and stands in the aisle] I'd like to apologize to everyone in advance for this. [he unzips the flyer on his pants and the squirrel starts running away the diner, causing the customers and the waitresses and waiters to scream and panic. Annie has seen all, and turns to glare at Dean. Dean places his sunglasses on nervously] Check, please.
[From Annie's POV, the camera pans to Hogarth who smiles nervously]
- Customer: It's a rat!
[Later, Hogarth cycles down the path back to his home.]
[Inside Hogarth's house the phone rings and Hogarth answered it]
- Hogarth: Hello, this is Hogarth Hughes speaking. Who's calling please?
- Annie: [Over phone] Hogarth honey, I'm really sorry, but... [She was cut off when the waitress comes out of the kitchen. To the waitress] Thank you. [To Hogarth on phone] I need to work late tonight. There's some cold chicken in the icebox. You can have that and some carrots.
- Hogarth: I'm way ahead of you, Mom. [Opens the bread box]
- Annie: [Over phone] Good, I'll make it up to you, okay?
- Hogarth: Okay.
- Annie: [Over phone] I love you, honey.
- Hogarth: Me too. [He's about to hang up.]
- Annie: [Over phone] And, Hogarth no scary movies, no late snacks, in bed by 8:00. Got it?
- Hogarth: Come on, Mom. It's me, remember?
[Later that night, Hogarth is watching a black and white movie on TV. The clock reads "9:05"]
- Man on TV: Why, the porpoise can communicate telepathically, Miss Melon. [Hogarth fills the twinkie with whipped cream and eats it.] If we can transplant at least 15% of their brain matter into ours we may be able to read minds. [Glass shatters to the floor and brain is on the floor] Darn. A perfectly good brain wasted. [To Miss Melon leaving the lab] I think you've seen enough. How about a nightcap? Let's say my place.
- Hogarth: [Rolling his eyes] Oh, sheesh.
- Miss Melon on TV: [Chuckling] I was thinking the same thing. Mind reader.
- Man on TV: [Realizing] Darn. I seem to have left my keys in the lab. [Hogarth eats popcorn, and the man goes back to the lab to get his keys he tries to turn on the light.] Hmm. [The brain moves slowly on the floor]
- Hogarth: [Mouthful] You're gonna get it.
[The man picks up his keys and hears shattering noises as Hogarth hears something]
- Man on TV: Who's there?
[Hogarth goes upstairs and carries his toy gun.]
- Man on TV: [Frightened] No! No! No! [Hogarth quickly goes downstairs and sees the Brain monster attacks the man on TV but suddenly the TV goes static.]
- Hogarth: [Annoyed] Aww, come on! [He smacks the TV trying to make it work but no effect] Stupid antenna.
[Later, Hogarth goes out the window with his flashlight, climbs up the tree, crawls on the roof. The antenna is torn the wooden fence is broken and Hogarth sees giant tracks on the ground.]
- Hogarth: [Shocked and Softly] Invaders from Mars!
[Hogarth realises what is going on so he goes to his bedroom he pulls out his BB toy gun from under his bed, takes out his helmet, the tape, his boots from his toy box, he tapes his flashlight to his BB gun, puts on his boots, his helmet. He looks in the mirror and he salutes himself. He puts his coat on and he goes outside into the night.]
Into the Woods/Annie picks up Hogarth
[In the forest, Hogarth holds his BB gun and his flashlight is on he quietly walks and he sees damaged trees with broken limbs he gulped nervously as he sees more damaged trees then he sees a light spark he pants quietly and he cocks his BB gun he sees the power station he looks around quietly as the giant robot from behind looks around. Then, Hogarth turns around and gasped upon seeing the robot walking he runs and he trips over and sees his BB gun damaged. Hogarth looks on as the robot walks to the power station he picks some metal and eats it. Hogarth looks on in horror as the robot gets electrocuted and falls backwards to the power lines he roars loudly. Back at Hogarth's house, Annie comes home and she sees the TV on.]
- Annie: Oh, Hogarth.
[Back in the woods the robot continues roaring as Hogarth covers his face. Then the power goes out in the neighbourhood even Hogarth's house. So Annie gets a flashlight and turns it on.]
- Annie: Hogarth? Honey? [Goes upstairs]
[The robot is still roaring and the power station metal tower falls off Hogarth is terrified as he gets up and runs]
- Annie: [Checking his bedroom] Hogarth? [She realises that Hogarth's bed is empty] [Shocked] Hogarth?!
[As Hogarth runs he stops and thinks he goes to the power station. He sees the power switch he pulls the switch he falls backwards and the power is turned off. The robot falls backwards to the ground Hogarth felt shocked about what happened. Hogarth crawls up the broken tree limb he throws a stone trying to wake him up but no effect. Hogarth climbs on the giant and he throws the stone into the robot's mouth. The robot starts to wake up and Hogarth screamed as the robot gets up and Hogarth runs in fright he sees the car coming.]
- Hogarth: [Scared] Help! Help! Stop! Help!
- Annie: Hogarth? Hogarth!
- Hogarth: Mom!
- Annie: [Upset] What do you think you're doing?! Don't you know better than to wander off at night alone? What if something happened to you?
- Hogarth: I'm sorry, Mom.
- Annie: Oh, don't you ever do that to me again, Hogarth. [Hugging him] I was so scared. I thought I'd lost you.
- Hogarth: Mom? You won't believe this. Something ate our TV antenna.
- Annie: [Annoyed] Oh, Hogarth.
- Hogarth: No! I'm serious! Oh but it's not Sputnik, like Mr Stutz thought.
- Annie: Hogarth.
- Hogarth: No, it's a robot! No, really, it is! And the robot, it's 100 feet high! And it eats metal!
- Annie Hughes: [Sternly] Stop it! Just stop. I'm not... [Sighs] I'm not in the mood. Come on. Let's go home.
[Annie drives Hogarth home, Hogarth felt disappointed that his mother didn't believe him. He looks out the back car window as the robot looks at him.]
[The scene changes to a classroom where Hogarth is drawing the giant robot he saw earlier as the whole class watches an educational film.]
- Narrator on film: A peaceful, stay-at-home kind of day in a town very much like your own. But then suddenly without warning. [The bomb exploded] Atomic holocaust! But how does one survive an atomic attack?
- Classroom boy 1: [To another boy] Hey did you hear about crazy Mr. Stutz? He says his boat ran into a sea monster.
- Classroom boy 2: I heard it was sunk by a meteor.
- Classroom boy 3:[Shaking his head] No, no, no. It was a metal meteor. It ate his boat. My dad says-
- Hogarth: [Interrupting] it wasn't any of those things.
- Classroom boy 2: [Annoyed] What would you know about it Poindexter?
- Mrs. Tensedge: [Sternly] Hogarth! [Shushing] Don't make me come over there.
- Chorus on film: [Singing] Hands over your head, Keep low to the ground, Time to duck in cover, The bombs are coming down. [The bomb exploded] Duck and cover.
- Hogarth: [Whispering to his classmates] It's about 50 or 60 feet high and it only eats metal.
- Classroom boy 1: [Annoyed, whispering] Shut up, you little spaz!
- Classroom boy 3: It's probably been sent by foreigners to take over the country.
- Classroom boy 2: Yeah, we should bomb it to smithereens before it does.
- Chorus on film: "Cause all the kids who don't, Will cease to be around.
[Hogarth draws a giant robot eating metal.]
Wreckage in the town/Enter Kent
Extended Edition scene
[In Chant 'n' Chew, Annie makes Dean some coffee]
- Dean: What a nice girl serving coffee to a guy like me.
- Annie: Particularly, I have the right to refuse the service to anyone. [referring to the sign]
- Dean: I'm sorry about yesterday. I usually...
- Annie: Not like that?
- Dean: [chuckling] Right.
[they chuckle softly]
- Annie: It wasn't your fault. Hogarth is... I think he's lonely.
- Dean: [feeling sympathy] Yeah. Well, he's a good kid.
[they smile at each other. Earl approaches Dean by placing a hand on his shoulder]
- Earl Stutz: Hey, c'mon outside. I've going somethin' to show ya.
[We cut outside Chat 'n' Chew diner, where Dean is examining a eaten tractor]
- Dean: Thanks for the scrap, Floyd. I can't pay you more, but well, it's- it's got this um... this large bite out of it.
- Floyd: That's why I'm selling it, it's got a large bite out of it.
- Dean: [chuckling softly] That's... Who could have done this?
- Earl Stutz: I told you what.
- Dean: Oh, yeah. Strange invaders. [he walks to his truck]
- Earl Stutz: Thanks for believing me. I really did call the government. They're sending someone to take care of the whole thing.
- Dean: Jeez, Earl. You really are crazy. I mean, who in the hell would the government send?
[Answering Dean's question, the scenes changes to someone closing the car with the goverment seal with "BUREAU OF UNEXPLAINED PHENOMENA". The camera pans up to reveal Kent Mansley, a government agent, who is smoking his pipe. He takes out his ID]
- Kent Mansley: Kent Mansley, United States Government, Unexplained Phenomena department.
- Marv: Marv Loach. I the-
- Kent Mansley: What happened here?
- Marv: Not sure. Sometimes the line'll snap if the weather is bad, sure. [Marv and Kent walk through the wreckage of the power station] But for a whole tower to get twisted up like that.... It's got me beat. It's almost like it was bitten off by some enormous beast.
- Kent Mansley: [writing the notes down] Enormous beast, yeah. What do you think? Escaped gorilla?
- Marv: Err, what department is that again?
- Kent Mansley: Frankly, I'm not at liberty to reveal the particulars of the agency I work for... ...and all that that implies.
- Marv: You mean the [softly] national security?
- Kent Mansley: Let's put it this way. Once in a while, things happen... ...that can't be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know that their government has a response. I am that response. So were there any witnesses?
- Marv: Well, sir, if you'll just follow me. [Kent follows Marv to his truck. Marv opens his truck and takes out what's left of Hogarth's BB Gun.] We did find this. [Kent examines the damaged BB Gun] United States Government, huh? Guess that means something big's happening here, eh?
- Kent Mansley: No, Marv. Big things happen in big places. The sooner I fill out my report, the sooner I can get back to them. [he walks away with the BB Gun. To himself, sarcastically] Enormous beast, yeah.... [he chuckles as he enters his car] Biggest thing here is probably the homecoming queen- [Kent notices as the camera zooms out, his car has a chunk bitten out] OH MY GOD! [He jumps out, terrified, and his fedora falls off. He then quickly runs back to the power station. After he left, the giant robot's arm emerges from the trees. Kent is escorting Marv to his car.] Come on Marv, I need a witness. It's around the corner.
- Marv: Don't pull so hard.
- Kent Mansley: [panicking] It's like a big "chomp" out of the side of the car. It's like a bite out of a ham sandwich, like a--
[he became lost for words when his car is no longer there. Only his fedora and the BB gun remains]
- Marv: [confused] What err- What are we looking at here, Mr. Manley?
- Kent Mansley: Something big, Marv. [he picks up the damaged BB gun] Something big.
Hogarth meeting the Iron Giant/Train coming
[The scene changes to Hogarth walking to the woods while carrying metal and has a camera around his neck.]
- Hogarth: [Calling] Hello! Come out! Hey, big metal guy, I got food here for you! Metal! Crunchy, delicious metal! Come and get it!
[Hogarth puts down the metal and runs then he kneels behind the tree limb. He pulls the camera scanning and he waits for minutes. He wipes the flashbulb with a white paper towel. Then the camera flashed and Hogarth placed his hand on his eyes. Moments later, he felt bored as he lies down on the tree limb. Then suddenly, he wakes up as he hears giant footsteps approaching he pulls out the camera as he sees the small torn tree. Then Hogarth sees the metal and he gasped, his eyes widen as he looks up to the giant robot. He runs in fright as the robot starts to follow him. Hogarth continues to run, until he run into a tree limb which knocks him to the ground and his nose bleeds as the giant robot approached him. Hogarth looks up at the giant robot as he sits down in front of him as the ground shook and Hogarth cringes in fear. Hogarth stretches his legs out and the robot does the same.]
- Hogarth: [Calmly] So I guess you're not gonna hurt me, huh?
[The giant robot holds his hand out as Hogarth cringed and gasped. It reveals the shut off switch that landed on the ground.]
- Hogarth: [Surprised] The shutoff switch. [To giant] You saw me save you. [The giant looked at him innocently] So where are you from? You came from the sky, right? From up there? Don't you remember anything? Hmm, maybe it's that bump from your head. [The robot placed his finger on his head, feeling the dent.] Do you talk? You know, words? "Blah, blah, blah," like that? Can you do that? Blah blah blah?
- Iron Giant: [Rusty voice] Blah, blah, blah.
- Hogarth: Well, you get the idea anyway. Let's see. [Picks up rock and shows him] See this? This is called the rock. Rock.
- Iron Giant: Rock.
- Hogarth: Good.
- Iron Giant: [Picks up a boulder] Rock?
- Hogarth: Yes.
- Iron Giant: [Picks up a tree] Rock!
- Hogarth: No, no. That is a tree. [Points to boulder] Rock. [Points to tree] Tree. Get it?
- Iron Giant: [Looks at boulder] Rock. [Looks at tree] Tree.
- Hogarth: That's right! [To himself] Wow, my own giant robot, I am now the luckiest kid in America! This is unbelievable. This is the greatest discovery since, I don't know, television or something. I gotta tell someone. I should call-- No, they'll panic. [To giant] People will always wig out and start shooting when they see something big like you.
- Iron Giant: [Confused] Hmm?
- Hogarth: Wig out. It means crazy. You know like... [Makes a crazy face and the robot mimics him] No, no! Don't do that! That's the kind of stuff that makes them shoot at you.
[The scene switches to the office where Kent Mansley has a meeting.]
- Kent Mansley: Two nights ago, at approximately 1900 hours, sat com radar detected an unidentified object entering Earth's atmosphere losing contact with it 2 1/2 miles of the coast of Rockwell. Some assumed it was a large meteor or a downed satellite. But my office in Washington received a call from someone who reported an actual encounter with the object. This is no meteor, gentlemen. This is something much more serious. So...
[The scene switches back to the woods]
- Hogarth: [Continuing] So, we can't call Ripley's Believe It or Not! because they wouldn't believe it. And uh...oh it's getting dark and if I don't get home soon, Mom's gonna wonder where I am and if she comes looking for me and sees you, then we got a screaming problem again. So for now, would you, you know, just...just stay here, okay? I'll come back tomorrow. [The robot stands up and Hogarth looks up seeing how tall he is.] [Awed] Wow. Well, goodbye. [He walks away and the robot starts to follow him.] No, no. Me go. You stay. No following. Good. [But the robot does follow him anyway] [Frustrated] I told you! I'll come back tomorrow! Now, stay! [The giant doesn't listen] No, No, No! Bad robot!
[The camera pans to Hogarth walking home as the giant follows him. Hogarth shakes his head and turns to the robot.]
- Hogarth: Look, you can't go stomping around and you can't come with me. My mom will wig out. [The robot makes a face and laughs] That's right. So you have got to stay in the forest, and I'll bring you some food tomorrow. But I gotta go home now. So goodbye. [Hogarth is about to walk home then he stops and sees the robot kneeling down to the train tracks.] Hey! [The robot is about to eat half of the train track] Hey, wait a minute! [The giant stops to look at him] What do you think you're doing? Look at this mess! [Then suddenly the crossing bell goes off and Hogarth hears a train coming] [Scared] Oh no. [To giant] Put it back! Put it back right now! Help me I need your help! Good, good! [The robot puts the track back on the ground and Hogarth sees the approaching train] Oh yeah, put them together. See? Like this. This one here, that one there. [The robot fixes the track] Okay, over, over. Good, good. Now the other one. Okay, good enough. Let's go!
- [Hogarth runs but he stops and sees the train is about hit the robot]
- Hogarth: [Shocked] What the? [Runs to the robot] That's fine! Leave it alone! The train is coming! [The robot finishes fixing the track] [Frightened] Come on let's go!
[The robot gasped upon seeing the train approach him as Hogarth reacts in horror and he jumps to the ground cringing. The crash is heard and Hogarth sees the crashed train. The robot lands on the ground and his body parts land as well.]
- Hogarth: Oh no, no, no. [The robot gets up] You're alive! [He sees the body parts moving to the robots body, as the giant sends his radio transmitter antenna out of his head.]
- Man: [Calling out in distance] Hello? Anybody out there?
- Hogarth: We're in trouble now.
- Man: Are you all right?
- Hogarth: [To giant] Look, I've changed my mind. You can follow me home. OK? Let's go!
Hand Underfoot/National Insecurity
[The scene switches to the Mayor's office the phone rang and the Mayor answers it]
- Mayor: Mayor's office. [Shocked] What? A train accident?
- Kent Mansley: And you report seeing anything unusual. [Then he stops and realises]
- Mayor: [On phone] What do you mean he hit a giant creature? What creature could be big enough to- [she was interrupted when Kent snatches the phone.]
- Kent Mansley: [listening on the phone. He turns and points to one of the associates] I need your car.
[Outside of City Hall Kent Mansley takes the car and drives away. The scene switches outside of Hogarth's home where the robot goes in the shed. Hogarth watches as the body parts put the robot back together. The jaw bolt approaches the robot and he picks it up to his jaw. He moves his jaw then he smiled at Hogarth.]
- Hogarth: [Amazed] Wow. You can fix yourself? Neat-o! [He sees his mom come home] Uh oh, Mom's home. Just stay here, Okay? I'll be back. Bye! [Closes the shed door]
- Iron Giant: [Waving] Bye. [He sees his hand is missing]
[The scene switches to the investigation of the train wreck. Kent is talking to the two engineers.]
- Kent Mansley: What happened here?
- Engineer 1: Go on. Tell him what you saw, Frank.
- Engineer 2: You're not gonna believe this. But it was a giant metal man.
[Kent stands up and he lights his pipe to smoke.]
- Kent Mansley: Does anybody know where I can get to a phone nearby? [One of the engineers points to Hogarth's house]
[The scene switches to the dining room where Annie and Hogarth have dinner.]
- Annie: Would you say grace please?
[Hogarth puts down the spoon and he's about to say grace then he sees the robot's hand in the kitchen.]
- Hogarth: Oh, my God! [Hesitantly] Uh... O my God...we thank you... for the food, uh...food...that...Mom has put in front of us and-- Stop! [Annie looks at him] Uh the devil! From doing bad things? And uh- get out of here! Uh... Satan! Go! Go...so...that we may live in peace. Amen.
- Annie: Amen. That was...hmm...really unusual, Hogarth.
- Hogarth: [Quickly] Forgot to wash my hands. [leaves the table]
- Annie: Well, OK.
[Hogarth checks the kitchen then he goes in the living room and he sees the robot's hand watching TV. Hogarth quickly shuts off the TV and he's about to pull it out of the living room but he sees his mom in the kitchen.]
- Hogarth: [Softly] Stop, Stop! All right. Come on. Over here.
[Annie is in the dining room as Hogarth stays quiet the robot's hand bumps from behind him and he pushes it away. He mutters to himself then he pulls out a coin from his pocket then he throws it to the spice rack in the kitchen. Annie goes to the kitchen and Hogarth pulls the robot's hand to the door.]
- Hogarth: [Softly] Come on, over here, Come on, Yeah.
[Hogarth opens the door and sees Kent Mansley.]
- Kent Mansley: Hey there, scout. Kent Mansley. I work for the government. [Hogarth quickly closed the door and he gasped]
- Annie: Hogarth? [Kent knocks and rings the doorbell] Hogarth? [Hogarth opens the door]
- Kent Mansley: Hey there, scout. Kent Mansley. [frowns] Work for the government. Your parents home?
- Hogarth: We're eating.
- Kent Mansley: Mmm, boy.
- Annie: Who's there, honey?
- Kent Mansley: Oh, hello there. Do you have a telephone I could use?
- Annie Hughes: Yes, there's one in the kitchen.
- Kent Mansley: Well, thank you. Thank you very much. [To Hogarth] Here. [Puts his hat on Hogarth's head] Pretend you're a gangster. [Chuckling]
[The scene changes to General Rogard talking on the phone at home, watching TV.]
- General Rogard: [Annoyed on phone] Dammit Mansley. You call me at home for this?
- Kent Mansley: [Over phone] You don't understand sir. It ate my car.
- General Rogard: [Over phone] And you saw this happen?
- Kent Mansley: No, I didn't actually see it. It went off into the woods.
- General Rogard: So you don't have any evidence?
- Kent Mansley: But sir, I've got an eyewitness!
- General Rogard: An eyewitness with a concussion.
- Kent Mansley: This thing- [Softly] This thing is a menace. It tore up the power station. It caused a train wreck!
- General Rogard: What did? [Sternly] Tell me again, Mansley, and this time...listen to yourself.
- Kent Mansley: [Sighs] A giant metal monster. [Rogard laughs on phone; Kent sees a funny face oven mitt staring at him. Kent turns it away, embarrassed.] Please sir. I've got a feeling about this one.
- General Rogard: That's lovely, Kent. But let me try to explain how this works. If you told me you'd found, say, a giant footprint...I might sent over an expert to make a plaster cast of it. [Angrily] Hell! You get me a photograph of this thing and I could probably get some troops over there! But you tell me you've got a feeling?
- Kent Mansley: All right then, fine. You want evidence? I'll get you evidence. And when I do, I'm gonna want a memo distributed.
- General Rogard: That sounds swell. [Slowly hangs up the phone]
- Kent Mansley: [Slowly] I'll want the memo carbon-copied and redistributed- [The dial tone is heard and he hangs his head as he tries hanging up the phone he growls and mutters with frustration and Annie and Hogarth look at him. Kent hangs up the phone in a proper way as he shows composure,]
- Kent Mansley: Hi. Thanks for the use of your phone.
[Kent goes outside the door.]
- Kent Mansley: Well, thank you for the use of your phone, Mrs...?
- Annie: Hughes. Annie Hughes. And this is my son Hogarth.
- Kent Mansley: [Leaving] Thank you Annie. Hobart.
- Hogarth: [Annoyed] That's Hogarth. [to himself, quietly] Jerk.
- Kent Mansley: [Starts his car] Hogarth? What an embarrassing name. Might as well call him Zeppo or something. What kind of a sick person would name a kid Hogar-? (He stops and he sees Hogarth's damaged BB gun, with the remaining words "HOG HUG") Hog Hug. Hogag!? Hogarth Hughes! [Stops the car]
[Knocking is heard and Hogarth answers the door.]
- Hogarth: [Annoyed] Kent Mansley. You work for the government
- Kent Mansley: I wasn't gonna say that. I have something for you, Hogarth. [Hands him the damaged BB gun]
- Annie: [To Hogarth] Your BB gun. [To Kent] Where did you find that?
- Kent Mansley: Up at the power station.
- Annie: Hogarth was out there the other night.
- Kent Mansley: Really? See anything unusual, Hogarth?
- Hogarth: [Shaking his head] Nothing...unusual, really. [He hears the toilet flushing that came from upstairs] Gotta use the bathroom.
[Hogarth runs upstairs and Kent felt suspicious. Hogarth opens the bathroom door and he sees the robots's hand rolling the toilet paper. He gasped upon seeing it.]
- Annie: Strange, he's so tightlipped now and the other night he couldn't stop talking. I mean, 100-foot-robots and whatnot.
- Kent Mansley: [Chuckling] A 100-foot robot? That's nutty! What else did he say?
- Hogarth: [From upstairs] No, wait, stop!
- Annie: Excuse me.
[Hogarth is trying to push the robot's hand out the bathroom window.]
- Annie: [Knocking] Hogarth? What is going on in there? Are you all right?
- Hogarth: [Groaning] I'm fine.
- Kent Mansley: You know. this sort of thing is why it's so important to really chew your food. [Annie glares at him]
[Hogarth pushed the hand out of the window which it lands on the ground.]
- Annie: Hogarth? [Hogarth zips down his pants] Hogarth? [Opens the door]
- Hogarth: Mom! [Annie exclaimed seeing Hogarth sitting on the toilet] A little privacy?!
- Annie: Sorry. [As she closes the door it hits Kent, who yelped in pain.] [To Kent] Sorry. He's been acting strange lately.
- Kent Mansley: [rubbing where the door hit him] That hurt.
[Hogarth sighs in relief then he stands up and zips up his pants. He sees the robot's hand go to the shed. Kent leaves the house and goes to his car]
- Kent Mansley: Thank you, again Annie. Good night Hogarth. I'm sure we'll see each other real soon.
- [Kent gets in his car and he drives away then Hogarth and Annie go back inside the house.]
Bedtime Stories/Metal food for the robot
[The giant robot is asleep in the shed and he wakes up as Hogarth comes in with a flashlight and comic books]
- Hogarth: If you're gonna stay here, you gotta keep better track of yourself. Sheesh. Anyway, I thought you'd like, you know, a bedtime story or something. I've got some really cool ones. [Showing the robot comic books] Mad Magazine, very funny. The Spirit, very cool. Boy's Life? [Shrugging] Ehh. Oh, here. [Shows him the Superman comic book] This guy is Superman. Sure, he's famous now...but he started off just like you. Crash-landed on Earth. Didn't know what he was doing. But he only uses his powers for good, never for evil. [Puts down the comic book] Remember that. [The robot felt curious as he looks at the Atomo comic book.]
- Iron Giant: Hmm. [Hogarth sees the Atomo comic book]
- Hogarth: Oh, that's Atomo, the metal menace. He's not the hero, He's the villain. He's not like you. You're a good guy. Like Superman. [he places the Superman comic book over the Atomo comic book to get the giant's mind off Atomo]
- Iron Giant: Superman. [He feels his stomach rumbling]
- Hogarth: You're hungry, aren't you?
- Iron Giant: [Nodding] Mmm-hmm.
- Hogarth: But I don't have any metal here. Just follow me.
- [The scene switches where Hogarth climbs on the robot's hand.]
- Hogarth: Pick me up, okay? [The robot stands up and he holds up Hogarth he sees the night sky] [Awed] Wow. Okay, now march! [The robot starts walking and Hogarth looks down to the ground below] Whoo! Yee-haw!
[As the robot continues walking with Hogarth in his hand he sees the town of Rockwell.]
- Iron Giant: [Curiously] Hmm?
- Hogarth: Oh, yeah. That's Rockwell. Nice place huh?
- Iron Giant: Rockwell?
- Hogarth: Yes, I was born right down there.
- Iron Giant: [Walks fast happily] Rockwell! [Laughing]
- Hogarth: [Yelling] Stop! No, stop! Look out for the cow! Come on, no not there! Please stop. No stop! [Calmly] We can't go there yet. People aren't just ready for you.
- Iron Giant: [Sadly] Awww. [Walks away from the town]
- Hogarth: That was close. We can't go running around like that, okay?
- Iron Giant: [Nodding] Mmm.
- Hogarth: [Sees the used car] Hey, look!
- Iron Giant: Hmm?
- Hogarth: I guess that would be okay to eat. It's been there for months. [Sees the tow truck coming] [Shocked] Oh no, we gotta hide! You know hide! It's when you-- You know, when you-- Just get behind something, quick! [As the tow truck approaches Hogarth hides behind the robot's head] [Quietly] Don't move.
[Dean hooks the used car as the robot pretends to be a picture on the billboard. Hogarth comes out from behind the robot's head he see's the McCoppin Scrap tag he smiled as he gets an idea. As Dean drives away with the old car. The robot tries to get the old car and he sighed]
- Hogarth: Our troubles are over.
[The robot and Hogarth arrive at the McCoppin scrap yard. The robot felt happy upon seeing lots of scraps.]
- Hogarth: This is it. All you can eat.
[The robot eats the scraps of metal, he picks up the old car and the horn goes off. Hogarth covers his ears.]
- Hogarth: Shh, Turn it off! [The robot sits on the car then he crushes it with his fist.] Come on, just turn it off! [The robot throws the damaged car to the distance. This causes the lights in Dean's warehouse to turn on]
- Dean: [Comes outside with a crowbar] All right, who's out there? [See's Hogarth outside his door] Hey, I know you. Squirrel boy.
- Hogarth: Hogarth.
- Dean: By night, known as Hogarth. Got it. Well come on inside, kid. Sorry about the crowbar. [Hogarth comes in Dean's house and looks around] You'd be surprised how many people wanna steal scrap. But, man, once I turn it into art, I can't give it away. I mean, what am I? A junkman who sells art or an artist that sells junk? You tell me.
- Hogarth: I like it, I think. Listen you're not gonna call my mom, are you? She doesn't know I'm out.
- Dean: Don't worry kid. Look, it's not my style to report a guy to the authorities. [outside the window he waves to Hogarth and he quickly closed the shade.] I'm gonna have some coffee. What do you want, some milk, or what? Milk?
- Hogarth: Coffee's fine. [Dean looks at him] Yeah, I drink it. I'm hip.
- Dean: I don't know. This is espresso, you know? It's like coffee-zilla.
- Hogarth: I said, I'm hip. [Dean shrugs as he starts to make coffee] [A bit later, Hogarth speaks rapidly under the effects of espresso] So she moved me up a grade because I wasn't fitting in, so now I'm even more not fitting in. I was getting good grades, you know? Like all A's. So my mom said, "You need stimulation," and I go, "No I'm not stimulated enough right now!"
- Dean: That's for sure.
- Hogarth: [Continuing] So she goes "Uh-uh. You don't have a challenge." So now I'm challenged, all right. I'm challenged to hold on to my lunch money, because all of the big mooses who wanna pound me because I'm the shrimpy dork who thinks I'm smarter than them. But I don't think I'm smarter I just do stupid homework! If everyone else just did the stupid homework, they could move up a grade and get pounded too. Is there anymore coffee?
- Dean: Look, it's really none of my business kid, but who cares what those creeps think, you know? They don't decide who you are. You do. You are who you choose to be, [The crashing sound is heard from outside] [shocked] Did you hear that?
- Hogarth: No, wait. Stop!
[Dean comes out of his home with a crowbar in his hand, he looks around. Then, he turns around and suddenly caught sight of the giant on the other side of his warehouse.]
- Hogarth: It's okay.
- Dean: Oh my god.
- Hogarth: He isn't gonna-
- Dean: [panicking; grabs Hogarth] Run kid! Run!
[They run off, Dean's voice attracts the giant's attention and he jumps up angrily. The giant lands in front of them, they run the opposite way]
- Hogarth: It's okay, he isn't- [he was cut off when the giant slams his hand in their way. They turn around and they trip] It's okay, he isn't gonna hurt me.
[Suddenly, the giant grabs hold of Dean by the collar of his nightgown]
- Dean: Whoa! Hey, hey! [he gasps when the giant raises him high]
- Hogarth: Don't squash him! No, don't! Do not! [the giant narrows his eyes at Dean, then he looks at Hogarth, confused] Squash him. His name is Dean We like Dean [the giant draws his attention back to Dean, but this time, he didn't narrow his eyes]
- Iron Giant: Dean. [Dean cowers in fear]
[A little later, Dean sees the Giant eating some metal junk and shakes with fear as he is about to take a sip of his coffee]
- Dean: So...where'd, uh-- Where'd he come from?
- Hogarth: He doesn't remember. He's like a... little kid.
- Dean: Little. Yeah. [starts chuckling, then stops] Wait a minute. You can talk to him?
- Hogarth: Kinda. He can't say a lot of words yet, but he understand things pretty good.
- Dean: Oh, yeah, I see.
[Hogarth and Dean start chuckling as the Giant is still eating some metal junk, then they stop]
- Hogarth: He needs food and shelter. [Dean has a blank expression on his face, he silently gets up from his chair, pours his coffee onto the ground, and walks back into his office, slamming the door, cutting the screen to black. A caption reading "37 minutes later" appears in the middle of the screen, we cut to Hogarth is still pleading to Dean to let the Giant stay in the junkyard, but to no avail, and sun begins to rise.] You got plenty of room here. This place is perfect!
- Dean: Go away.
- Hogarth: I can have him push the door down. You know I can!
- Dean: [finally tired of Hogarth's pleading; opens the door] Hogarth! I-I-I can't hide it here!
- Hogarth: Him. Not it.
- Dean: Whatever. You don't even know where he came from, or-or-or what the Hell he is!
- Hogarth: He's my friend.
- Dean: Yeah, yeah. What am I? Am I your friend? [starts walking back in to his office] Bring some Franken-bot with out-of-state plates over here and make me change my tune. I don't like that jazz. [lays down on his couch] God, I'm tired.
- Hogarth: So, he can stay?
- Dean: Tonight. Tomorrow-- I-I don't know about tomorrow.
[Hogarth closes the door and breathes a sigh of relief]
[As daylight approaches Hogarth kicks the can and the robot is asleep. Hogarth walks up to the robot.]
- Hogarth: Sleep tight. I'll see you tomorrow. [Leaves the junkyard]
[Hogarth comes into his bedroom through his open window feeling tired. He takes off his shoes and jacket then he's about to get in his bed. Then Annie opens the door.]
- Annie: You're up already?
- Hogarth: Just making the bed.
- Annie: Well, that's nice. Come downstairs. I have a surprise for you.
[A tired Hogarth comes down stairs with different clothes on. He walks into the rented room and Kent is reading the newspaper.]
- Kent Mansley: Morning sport. [he puts down the newspaper, revealing himself] Sleep well?
- Hogarth: Mom?
- Annie: Isn't it wonderful Hogarth? We finally rented our room.
- Hogarth: [Groans in disgust] I'm not very hungry. [Walks away, leaving Annie confused and Kent suspicious.]
[The scene switches to Dean in his house he opens the door and see's the robot.]
- Dean: Oh yeah.
[Back at Hogarth's house the phone rang and Hogarth answers it.]
- Hogarth: Hello, this is Hogarth Hughes speaking. Who's calling please?
- Dean: [Over phone] I said he could stay for the night, kid. But it's morning now.
- Hogarth: [Through clenched-teeth] Look, I'll try to come over. OK? But there's this weird guy here who's watching me. [Kent opens the door and grins at Hogarth.]
- Dean: [Over phone] What? What's that supposed to mean? I got this big, giant-- Giant thing out here.
- Hogarth: I can't talk right now, okay? Bye. [Hangs up the phone]
- Kent Mansley: Who was that, sport? Friend of yours?
- Hogarth: Yeah. He's a new kid.
[Dean hangs up the phone and sees the robot outside eating one of metal scraps.]
- Dean: Hey! Hey! Stop! Stop! Stop that! Stop it! [He trips on the floor]
[Hogarth comes downstairs]
- Kent Mansley: Hey, mind if I ask you a few questions, buckaroo? [In the living room] Now, why would you tell your mom about a giant robot Slugger? [In the kitchen and he's eating a sandwich] What'd you see at the power station huh? [In the hallway upstairs] Tell anyone else Buddy? [In the rented room] How big is this thing Ranger? [In the bathroom] Been in the forest lately? Champ? Slugger? Hey, Cowboy? Where are you going?
- Hogarth: [Exasperated] I'm going out! [Takes his jacket]
- Annie: Why don't you take Mr. Mansley with you? Show him the sights.
- Hogarth: Aww, Mom the sights?
- Kent Mansley: Hey, I'd love that. Give us a chance to get aquainted, swap some stories. Huh Chief?
[The scene switches to the junkyard where Dean talks to the robot.]
- Dean: There are two kinds of metal in this yard. Scrap and art. If you gotta eat one of them, eat the scrap. What you currently have-- [Yelling angrily] IN YOUR MOUTH IS ART!!
- Iron Giant: [Takes the art scrap out of his mouth] Art?
[Dean looks at him annoyed. The robot seemingly tries to repair the art scrap]
- Dean: Forget it. Forget it! [The robot puts down the damaged art scrap on the ground.] It's gone. It's- [Dean notices the readjustment of the art scrap and is amazed] Hmm, it's not bad.
Satellites and Sundaes
[The scene changes to downtown where Hogarth is inside the Pharmacy talking to Kent while having sundaes.]
- Hogarth: First, you take the chocolate bar. Any bar'll do.
- Kent Mansley: Oh.
- Hogarth: Do you mind if I...
- Kent Mansley: No, knock yourself out, skipper.
- Hogarth: [Crumbles up coca-lax] You crumble up the chocolate into little pieces. [Stirs the ice cream] Then you kind of stir it into the ice cream. See?
- Kent Mansley: Yes, I see. What do you call this again?
- Hogarth: Landslide. It's new. Very new. [He drops the coca-lax wrapper into the garbage without Kent looking]
- Kent Mansley: Mmm. Landslide. Topnotch. Mmm. (Hogarth makes himself a Landslide with a regular chocolate bar) You know, Hogarth, we live in a strange and wondrous time. The Atomic Age. But there's a dark side to progress, Hogarth. Ever heard of Sputnik?
- Hogarth: Yeah, it's the first satellite in space.
- Kent Mansley: Foreign satellite, Hogarth, and all that implies. Even now, it orbits overhead- Boop! Boop!-watching us. We can't see it, but it's there. Much like that giant thing in the woods. We don't know what it is or what it can do. I don't feel safe, Hogarth do you?
- Hogarth: [Puzzled] What are you talking about?
- Kent Mansley: What am I talking about? [Losing patience, yelling] What am I talking about?! [His yelling causing everyone to turn and stare at Kent. Kent slowly begins to corner Hogarth.] I'm talking about your goldarned security, Hogarth! While you're snoozing in your widdle jammies, back in Washington we're wide awake and worried! Why? Because everyone wants what we have Hogarth! Everyone! You think this metal man is fun. But who built it? The Russians? The Chinese? Martians? Canadians? I don't care! All I know is we didn't build it, and that's reason enough to assume the worst and blow it to kingdom come! Now, you are going to tell me about this thing, you are going to lead me to it, and we are going to destroy it before it destroys us! [Suddenly, Kent's stomach begins to gurgle, causing his glare to fade away and his eyes to widen] Just hold that thought and stay right there! Uh-oh! [He rushes to the bathroom and the camera quickly pans to reveal Hogarth left the Pharmacy]
Fun and Games/Lake
[Hogarth rides his bike to the junkyard as he runs to Dean and the robot. The robot is doing an art piece.]
- Dean: [To robot] Little lower, Little bit lower.
- Hogarth: Hey! I thought you were in trouble
- Dean: That sucks. Let me...up a little.
- Hogarth: I had to ditch this weird guy who's staying at our house. It took me hours to shake him! I kill myself to get out here! And you have him doing...[Sees the robot doing the arts, Surprised] arts and crafts.
- Dean: You got a problem with arts and crafts, little man?
- Hogarth: He's a giant robot, Dean. It's a little undignified.
- Dean: Yeah? Oh, well smart guy, what would have him do?
[Hogarth smiles then we see Hogarth wearing a helmet and he's in the car.]
- Hogarth: Main systems on. Main engines. [Pushing the buttons] One, two and three. All systems go. [The robot lifts up the car] Five, four, three, two, one! Blast off!
[The robot spins him around as Hogarth yells comically. The robot spins him faster as Hogarth's helmet flew off his head.]
- Hogarth: We're landing. We're landing! We're landing!
[The scene changes where Hogarth and the robot are sitting. Hogarth felt tired and sighed. The robot also sighed.]
- Dean: Say kid, can you guys cool yourselves a little? I feel like we're pressing our luck here.
- Hogarth: Hey, baby, we are cool! Welcome to downtown Coolsville. Population: us.
- Dean: Well, can you move Coolsville to some place less conspicuous?
- Hogarth: How about the lake?
- Dean: Okay. [Hogarth climbs on the robot's hand]
- Hogarth: Aww, come with us. It'll be fun.
[The robot wiggles his finger as Dean looks at him. Meanwhile Kent is talking to a farmer he shows him the truck that was half eaten and a damaged solo next to his barn. The farmer also showed him the damaged trees and the west side of his property. Kent took notes on the destruction then he felt his bowels he turns to look at him then the farmer pointed to the outhouse. Deep in the woods Kent comes across the boulders and the uprooted tree. Then he turns to see the shut off power switch he kneels down and he felt his bowels again he uses the bushes. He felt exhausted, until he sees Hogarth's camera hanging from the tree branch he takes it.]
[The scene changes to where Hogarth, Dean, and the giant robot are at the lake. Hogarth is wearing his blue swim trunks.]
- Dean: [whilst setting up his chair; concerned] This can't last forever Hogarth. We gotta tell somebody about him.
- Hogarth: Ah, you worry too much. [He climbs up the rock boulder] Hey Dean! Watch this!
- Dean: [Sits down on his chair] All right, we're watching, we're watching.
- Hogarth: This one's for professionals only! [Jumps in the lake] Banzai! [The robot looks down at Hogarth in the lake. Hogarth emerges from the water, shivering with his skin turning blue] Come on in! The water's great!
- Dean: No, thanks.
- Hogarth: You weenie! [To robot] Come on in. It's really, really refreshing. [The robot walks away] What? You too? You... big baby! [He hears footsteps approaching and Dean also hears the footsteps while reading the newspaper.]
- Iron Giant: [Jumps] Banzai! [He lands in the water and did a giant splash. Dean, who is reading his newspaper, notices the wave approaches, he gasps and hides behind his newspaper. The wave lands on the road and Dean gets all wet. Hogarth is on the tree as he laughs. Dean is on the washed road as the truck approaches him.]
- Man in truck: [Angry] Hey!
- Dean: Yeah?
- Man in truck: You're right in the middle of the road!
- Dean: Yeah?
- Man in truck: All right. [Drives away]
- Dean: I think that's enough fun for one day.
[The scene switches to where Kent is in the bathroom with red lighting at Hogarth's house he hangs the drying photos from Hogarth's camera then he hears knocking.]
- Annie: Are you okay in there, Mr. Mansley? I'm back with the toilet paper you needed.
- Kent Mansley: [Chuckles] Thanks! I think I'm feeling better now. Much. [He sees the photo of Hogarth and the giant robot] Much better.
Innocent Creatures/The Robot Learns About Death
[The scene changes where Hogarth and the giant robot are in the woods. The giant robot sighed happily.]
- Hogarth: It's beautiful, huh? [Sees the deer] Hey, look! [Quietly] It's a deer. Shh, let's get closer.
[The giant robot walks quietly to the deer. The deer sees the robot and Hogarth. The robot kneels down holding out his finger Hogarth and robot smiled as the deer curiously sniffs the robot's finger. Then the deer hears the twig snaps and it leaves.]
- Hogarth: Hmm, well I guess he decided to-- [Suddenly the gunshot is heard and the robot is shocked]
[It was the hunters they turn to see the robot behind the trees.]
- Hunter: [Scared] It's the monster. [Then they both run away from the robot as Hogarth and the robot sees the dead deer that has been shot]
- Hogarth: [Shocked] Oh, no. [The robot slowly reaches his finger down touching it trying to get to move] It's dead.
- Iron Giant: [Sadly] Dead? [He tries to pick up the deer]
- Hogarth: Don't do that!
- Iron Giant: [Confused] But...why?
- Hogarth: It's dead. Understand? They shot it, with that gun. [The robot sees the gun his eyes narrow and turned into red] Hey, what's wrong? [The robot snaps out of it]
- Iron Giant: Gun.
- Hogarth: Yes. Guns kill.
- Iron Giant: Guns kill.
[Later that night the camera pans where the robot and Hogarth are at the junkyard. The robot felt very sad about the deer. Hogarth walks up to him.]
- Hogarth: I know you feel bad about the deer. But's it not your fault. Things die. It's part of life. It's bad to kill. But it's not bad to die.
- Iron Giant: You die?
- Hogarth: Well, yes someday.
- Iron Giant: I die?
- Hogarth: I don't know, You're made of metal...but you have feelings. And you think about things. And that means you have a soul. And souls don't die.
- Iron Giant: Soul?
- Hogarth: Mom says it's something inside of all good things... and that it goes on forever and ever.
[Hogarth pats the robot's face and walks away. The robot lies on the scraps and he looks up at the night sky.]
- Iron Giant: Souls don't die.
Kent Interrogates Hogarth/Hogarth Escapes
[The scene changes where Hogarth rode his bike home. He goes in the shed parking his bike. Kent is in there waiting for him]
- Kent Mansley: You're late for dinner, Hogarth. [Hogarth runs trying to escape from him but he was trapped so Kent locked the door.] Your mom's working late tonight Hogarth. So it's just us guys. And we're gonna have a little chat. [Shoves Hogarth in the chair] So, sit down! [Shines on the light] How's that? A little bright? Good. [Chuckling] Forgive me, Hogarth. I wanted you to learn something.
- Hogarth: What can I learn from you?
- Kent Mansley: You can learn, Hogarth. That I can do anything I want, whenever I want if I feel it's in the people's best interest. The giant metal man, where is it?
- Hogarth: [Annoyed] I don't know what you're talking about.
- Kent Mansley: You don't? Well, does this ring a bell? [Lays down a photo of the aluminum] No? How about this? [Lays down a photo of Hogarth and the giant robot] You've been careless, Hogarth.
- Hogarth: It doesn't prove anything.
- Kent Mansley: It's enough to get the army here with one phone call.
- Hogarth: Then what's stopping you?
- Kent Mansley: [Angrily getting into Hogarth's face; whilst smacking the lamp out of the way] Where's the giant?! [Grabs Hogarth by the jaw] You can't protect him, Hogarth, anymore than you can protect your mother.
- Hogarth: My mom?
- Kent Mansley: [Sighs] It's difficult to raise a boy all alone. We can make it more difficult. In fact, we can make it so difficult it would be irresponsible for us to leave you in her care, and all that implies. You'll be taken away from her, Hogarth.
- Hogarth: You can't do that!
- Kent Mansley: [Smiling evilly] Oh, we can, and we will.
- Hogarth: He's in the junkyard. McCoppin's Scrap, off Culver Road.
- Kent Mansley: The junkyard. Of course! Food for the metal-eater. I wouldn't worry about this, Hogarth. This isn't really happening. It's only a bad dream. [Kent shoves a chloroform rag on Hogarth's mouth. leaving him unconscious]
[The scene switches to Hogarth in bed hearing voices then he wakes up hearing Kent talking on the phone.]
- Kent Mansley: [On phone] Yes, sir. This thing is real, sir. I not only have incontrovertible evidence General. I know where it's hidden. I don't know who built it, but it's here, it's massive and we're running out of time. [Hogarth gets out of his bed and he listens to Kent talk on the phone] There's no doubt we should act. The only question sir is, Can you afford not to? Excellent, sir. You won't regret it. Thank you sir. [Hangs up the phone]
[Hogarth hides behind his bedroom door and he tries to escape but he is blocked by Kent.]
- Kent Mansley: The Army arrives in the morning Hogarth. Don't get cute.
[Hogarth glares angrily at him as he slowly backs away into his room then he closed the door.]
- Hogarth: [Quietly] I gotta warn Dean.
[Hogarth runs to his bedroom window he tried to open it then he sees his window is nailed shut. Kent opens the door glaring at him and Hogarth glares back.]
- Kent Mansley: I'll be watching you, Hogarth.
[Then he sits down on Annie's bed. Hogarth continues glaring at him as he goes into his bed he puts on his army helmet, he folded his arms, and puts on his goggles. Kent smiled evilly and he never loses his gaze from Hogarth. They stared at each other for hours then Kent grew tired and Hogarth pretended to fall asleep. Kent smiles at this then he looked at his watch. The next morning he woke up and looks at Hogarth's bed.]
- Hogarth: [Walking by] Morning, Kent.
[Kent gasped as he walks into Hogarth's bedroom he pulls the bed sheets only to see pillows and the helmet falls to the floor.]
- Annie: [Comes in] For some reason, the Army is in our front yard, Mr Mansley.
- Kent Mansley: [Smiling] Please call me Kent.
[The scene changes where Dean is outside of his house stretching having a cup of coffee. Then he hears jeeps approaching.]
- Dean: Ok. [Sipping his coffee]
[The soldiers in their jeeps drive up to Dean's scrapyard, Hogarth and Annie are in the army jeep. Kent comes out of the jeep.]
- Kent Mansley: All right, where is it?
- Dean: What?
- Kent Mansley: You know darn well what. The monster. The giant thing. The metal man.
- Dean: Ahh, the metal man. [Chuckles] Geez, you were scaring me there for a second. I thought I was under attack or something. He's in the back. Come on I'll show you. [Dean holds up his keys] You guys got here just in time. This rich cat you know, some industrialist, wants him for the lobby of his company. He whipped out his checkbook right on the spot. I said "Hey, you got him for the rest of your life." But, what I gotta let go the moment I give birth? I mean, come on. Give me some time to cut the umbilical man. [Dean leads the army, Annie, and Hogarth inside showing them the giant robot] There he is.
[Kent walks in and sees the giant robot who is disguised as metal sculpture feeling surprised.]
- Dean: Anyway, I haven't sold him yet. So if you really want him and if, you know, you throw in a competitive bid.
- Kent Mansley: [Nervously, to General Rogard] Sir, listen.
- General Rogard: [Sternly] Step outside, Mansley.
- Kent Mansley: Yes sir.
[Kent is outside being reprimanded by General Rogard as Hogarth smiled as he looks outside the window.]
- General Rogard: [Furiously] You realize how much hardware I brought out there?! You just blew millions of Uncle Sam's dollars out of your butt!
[Then we cut to inside where Annie is talking to Dean.]
- Annie: I gotta admit, I'm relieved that this is what Hogarth was talking about. I mean, I was beginning to think it was real. [Dean chuckles and clears his throat] I mean, don't get me wrong. I like it. But um, do you need all this stuff on the surface?
- Dean: Well, um no actually.
- Annie: Well just sort of--It seems kind of slapped on. You know, not as thought-out as this other piece.
- Dean: You like that one?
- Annie: [Smiling] Yeah.
[We cut back outside where General Rogard continues berating Kent.]
- General Rogard: You'll be chief inspector of Subway toilets by the time I'm finished with you! [Gets in the jeep] Now pack up. I expect you back in Washington to clear out your office. [Points to the road, signaling the soldier to drive away, leaving Kent alone.]
- Kent Mansley: [defeated and softly] Yes, sir.
[We cut back inside where Annie continues talking with Dean]
- Annie: Hmm, I see why Hogarth sneaks out here. [Walks out among with Dean]
- Dean: You mean, you know about that?
- Annie: Aww, now I do. [She stops and sees the giant robot smiling then she closed the door]
[Hogarth watches through the window outside where the army jeeps leave.]
- Hogarth: [Waving] Bye, Kent, and all that implies.
- Dean: [To robot] Okay, you can move now. [The giant robot moves] Nice job!
Iron Giant's Reaction to Guns
[We cut to outside where Hogarth has his helmet and he has his toy gun playing with the giant robot.]
- Hogarth: Thruster to base. I'm going in. [Climbs up on the car] Only one creature could create so much destruction. The hideous, people-eating killing machine, Atomo! [But the robot did not pay attention] Atomo!
- Iron Giant: No Atomo. [Pulls up the S from the old scrap that says "Seafood" and he puts it on his chest] I Superman.
- Hogarth: Okay, Superman. Take this! [Pointing his toy gun at him and the robot's eyes turn red] Stupid gun. [The robot fires his beam and Hogarth unknowingly dodges and Dean who was working sees whats going on and the robot gasped] Hey, what's wrong? As I was saying, take this! [Points his toy gun again and the robot fires at Hogarth, Dean quickly saves Hogarth from getting hit] What happened? What was that--
- Dean: Shh, stay down and follow me. [The robot gasped as Hogarth and Dean tried to hide but the robot found them. Dean stood in front of Hogarth, defensively] Get back! [The robot reacts in shock] I said, get back! I mean it!
- Iron Giant: [Sadly] No, stop why?
- Hogarth: It was an accident. He's our friend.
- Dean: He's a piece of hardware Hogarth. Why do you think the Army was out here? He's a weapon! A big gun that walks!
- Iron Giant: I'm not gun.
- Dean: Yeah, what's that, huh!? [Points to the big hole left on the school bus] You almost did that to Hogarth!
- Iron Giant: [Sadly] No. [He runs away as it begins to snow]
- Hogarth: Come back! [Runs to follow the robot]
- Dean: Hogarth. Hey stop!
- Hogarth: Giant! Come back!
[Dean picks up Hogarth's toy gun.]
- Dean: [realizing] It was defensive. He reacted to the gun.
[The scene changes where Hogarth continues running on the road and Dean arrives on his motorcycle.]
- Dean: You're not gonna get there fast enough on foot. [Hogarth smiles then he hops on]
[We cut to the giant robot where he continues walking still feeling sad about the incident. He left the letter S on the ground.]
Iron Giant Saves The Kids
[We cut to the army jeeps driving, they were spotted by one of the boys who has holding binoculars.]
- Boy 1: See, I told you it was a big hoax. Dad said-- [Another boy gasped upon seeing the giant robot]
- Boy 2: Give me the binoculars.
- Boy 1: What? What?
- Boy 2: [Looks through the binoculars] Hey, there it is. I see it! (The giant robot walks away) It's big. It's walking away.
- Boy 1: [Takes the binoculars] Give me those.
- Boy 2: Over there. See it? See it?
- Boy 1: [Surprised] The monster! Holy cow!
[The two boys suddenly fall off the balcony, they hold on each other. The wood falls on the ground and one of them almost hits the man.]
- Man: Watch it!
- Boy 2: [Scared] Help! Somebody help me! [The giant robot hears the boy's cry for help] I don't wanna fall! [The crowd from below see what's going on]
- Boy 1: I'm slipping! I can't hold on much longer!
[The giant robot lands on the ground and the two boys fall off then they land on the robot's hand safely. The crowd felt surprised upon seeing the robot saving the boy's lives. Then they run to their dad.]
- Boy 1: Dad!
- Boy 2: Daddy! [They both hugged their father and he smiled at the robot]
- Man: He saved those boys.
- Woman: It's friendly.
[We cut to Dean and Hogarth riding on the motorcycle looking for the robot. As the army jeeps drive, Kent sees Dean and Hogarth ride by then he looks back at the robot. He gasps feeling shocked.]
- Kent Mansley: What!? [Then he looks at the robot again] What!? [Then he bumped in front of the jeep and a jeep bumped from behind him. and his car is damaged.] Stop! Look! Look behind you! The giant, it's attacking! It's stomping the town! I was right! [General Rogard turns and sees the robot]
- General Rogard: [Shocked] Sweet Mother of God.
- Kent Mansley: Look, damn you!
[Then we cut back to town where the robot smiled as the crowd looked at him. Hogarth and Dean arrived then Hogarth runs up to the robot he looks up at him feeling surprised.]
- Iron Giant: I am not a gun.
[Hogarth smiled and he went in the robot's hand then he picks him up. Annie arrived and see's Hogarth in the robot's hand feeling surprised.]
- Hogarth: Hey, Mom.
[He smiled and waved at her. Dean and Annie looked at each other, Dean chuckled. But suddenly the fire bullet hits the robot in the back which causes him to groan in pain. The crowd reacts in shock the robot falls and hits the building. The army continues shooting the robot.]
- Hogarth: [Scared] Let's get of here! Run!
[The robot covers Hogarth safely with his hand and he starts running. General Rogard tried shooting the robot as Kent covers his ears. Dean arrives at the scene.]
- Dean: Hey, stop! There's a kid in his hands! Stop shooting. [Kent walks up to Dean] You can't, he only reacts defensively. If you don't shoot, he's harmless. You gotta tell the general!
- Kent Mansley: [Angry] This is all your fault. beatnik. If you--
- Dean: [Annoyed] Would you shut up and listen! You gotta make them stop. The giant's got the kid with him.
- Kent Mansley: I'll take care of him. [Dean rides away on his motorcycle. Kent speaks to General Rogard] He says the monster's killed a kid. Sir, we must stop it all costs.
- General Rogard: [On walkie talkie] Go to code red. Repeat, code red!
[The scene changes to the President's office where two guards come in.]
- Guard: Mr. President, we have a situation, sir.
[We cut to the Air Force jets take off, we cut back to town where Annie is in the car driving and she almost hit one of the army solders.]
- Soldier: Watch it, lady!
[The Air Force jets fly into the town of Rockwell as Annie continues driving and the giant robot continues running still holding Hogarth safely. The jets flew past the robot and Hogarth see's the bus below.]
- Hogarth: (Scared) Look out for the bus! [The robot gasped and he tripped through the power lines then he slid off the cliff with Hogarth in his hand as he screamed. Then the rocket thrusters came on the bottom of his feet and he began to fly.] [Surprised] You can fly! [The robot went up high] [Happily] You can fly!
[Annie came out her car and she is shocked to see the robot fly up into the sky.]
- Annie: Hogarth!
- Hogarth: Try pointing your arms straight ahead, like Superman!
[The robot holds out his arm and flies like Superman. He felt very happy but suddenly the jets flew past him and one of them start shooting. The robot got angry and he targeted the jet.]
- Iron Giant: [covering his eyes to stop himself from firing the lasers] No, no!
[The robot dodges the shooting to avoid getting hit.]
- Jet Pilot: I've lost visual, Repeat I've lost visual!
- Hogarth: Man, that was close! [Suddenly the blast hit the robot he falls down from the sky. Annie sees what happened.]
- Annie: [Scared] No!
[Kent sees the robot fall from the sky with his binoculars.]
- Kent Mansley: Ha! Gotcha!
[The robot lands on the ground below and he groans. General Rogard looks through his binoculars.]
- General Rogard: Good call, Mansley. Secure the area. Let's find out what this thing is and who sent it.
[The army drives up to the robot. The robot recovers and sits up then he see's Hogarth unconscious and he gasped in shock. He tried to wake up Hogarth then he begins to mourn Hogarth. The army approaches him.]
- Soldier: It's still alive!
- Kent Mansley: Just, shoot at it!
[The army starts shooting at the robot. Then the robot gets angry and the dent disappears on his head. His eyes turn to red then he activated a gun and he shoots the combat vehicle. General Rogard and Kent are shocked to see what the robot did. His body activates more weapons.]
- Soldier: Retreat! Retreat!
- Kent Mansley: Let's get out of here!
[The army drives away as the robot comes after them continuing to shoot. Annie comes out of the car and Dean arrives. Then they check on Hogarth who is unconscious.]
- Annie: Hogarth!
- Dean: He's unconscious, but he's okay. Let's get him in the car.
[We cut back to where the army is fighting the robot.]
- Kent Mansley: [Screaming] Drive, baby, drive! Step on it! Floor it! It's gaining on us. Faster! Faster! Hurry!
[The army went back to town as the robot keeps shooting then he hits the combat vehicles and General Rogard stops the jeep.]
- General Rogard: [On walkie talkie] All battleships fire at the robot! [Sees the robot approach them] Now! Now, damn it, now! [The battleships shoot the robot and it hits the robot on the back. Then he heads for the battleships] Nothing can stop this thing! We've hit with everything we've got!
- Kent Mansley: Not everything, general. The bomb. [General Rogard removes his glasses, looking speechless] The Nautilus first strike capability is not far off shore.
- General Rogard: [narrowing his eyes; softly] You scare me, Mansley. You want us to bomb ourselves in order to kill it?
- Kent Mansley: General, the giant seems to follow whatever attacks it. We can lure it away from the town, then destroy it.
- General Rogard: [To soldier] Radio the Nautilus, tell it to target the robot and await my command.
The Missile/Iron Giant's farewell and Sacrifice
[The camera changes inside the Nautilus submarine and the pilot answers the call.]
- Nautilus Pilot: This is Nautilus. What's the giant's position?
- Soldier: 67.71972 degrees west by 44.50177 degrees north.
- Nautilus Pilot: Locked and loaded
[We cut back to Dean driving the car while Annie holds an unconscious Hogarth.]
- Annie: [Caressing Hogarth] Oh, my baby, I'm so sorry. [Then Hogarth wakes up]
- Hogarth: [To Dean] Stop the car.
- Annie: [Surprised] Hogarth, Oh my God, Honey you're all right.
- Hogarth: Go back! We've gotta help him!
- Dean: Are you crazy kid? You're lucky to be alive! We're taking you to a hospital. [Then he felt shocked as he stops the car. Then they are shocked to see the robot changed.]
- Soldier: Everyone, out of the car! We're evacuating the area. [Pulling Dean of out the car]
- Dean: What are you talking about? We gotta get this boy to a hospital.
- Soldier: What boy? [He grabs Dean among with another soldier]
- Dean: [Shocked] Hogarth!
[Hogarth runs up to the robot as Dean and Annie look on.]
- Annie: [Scared] Hogarth, no!
[The robot targets the Nautilus as Hogarth arrives to stop him.]
- Hogarth: Hey, no stop!
[The robot turns to Hogarth and he shoots to sky as the army reacts in shock. Kent looks at General Rogard.]
- General Rogard: [On walkie talkie] This is General Rogard. Ready the attack and prepare to retreat to the fallback position. [The soldiers escort Dean and Annie safely then Annie hears what's going on.]
- Annie: No! [Runs to Kent as the soldiers stop her] No! Stop! My son is out there!
[We cut back to Hogarth and the robot. The robot points the weapon at Hogarth.]
- Hogarth: No, wait. It's me Hogarth. Remember? It's bad to kill. Guns kill. And you don't have to be a gun. You are what you choose to be. You choose. Choose. [The robot's eyes return to normal]
- Iron Giant: Hogarth. [He returns to his normal form, he felt regretful for what he had done.]
- Hogarth: It's okay, It's okay. We gotta show them you're good.
[We cut to inside the submarine.]
- Nautilus Captain: Nautilus to Rogard. Missile armed and ready.
[We cut back to Kent, Rogard and Dean where the second former is informed by the latter about the robot]
- General Rogard: [Shocked] What are you saying, he's friendly?
- Dean: Yes, attacking him is triggering a defense mechanism.
- Kent Mansley: Don't listen to him, General! Destroy the monster while we still have the chance! [The robot approaches in the mist as the soldiers hold out their guns.]
- Dean: General, you shoot now and the whole thing starts all over.
- Kent Mansley: Stop it now, General! Our future's at sake!
- Soldier: Orders, sir?
- Dean: Which is why you have got to stop, General.
- Soldier: It's getting closer! Orders, sir?!
- Hogarth: [in the robot's hand, emerging from the mist] Don't shoot! Don't shoot!
- Annie: Hogarth!
- General Rogard: Hold your fire! The boy's alive?
- Kent Mansley: It's a trick! Launch the missile!
- General Rogard: Are you mad, Mansley? [To Soldiers] All units, stand down! [On walkie talkie] Rogard to Nautilus. Come in, Nautilus. [Kent looks up to the robot and he glares down at him.]
- Nautilus Captain: [On walkie talkie] This is Nautilus standing by. [Kent grabs the walkie talkie.]
- Kent Mansley: [Screaming] LAUNCH THE MISSILE NOW!
[The captain pushed the red button, launching the missile up to the sky. Back in Rockwell, General Rogard confronts Kent.]
- General Rogard: [Furiously, grabbing Kent by the coat] That missile is targeted to the giant's current position! Where's the giant Mansley?!
- Kent Mansley: What? [Turns to see the robot holding Hogarth behind him glaring a him, then he turns back to Rogard] Oh, we can duck and cover. There's a fallout shelter right there.
- General Rogard: There's no way to survive this, you idiot! [Rogard grabs hold of Kent again]
- Kent Mansley: [Nervously] You mean, we're all going to--
- General Rogard: To die, Mansley, for our country.
[He lets go of Kent, who stands around, shocked]
- Kent Mansley: Screw our country! I want to live! [Throws the soldier out of the jeep and gets in. He tries to drive away but the robot stops him and he glares down at him.]
- General Rogard: Hold him, men. [The soldiers held him gunpoint to prevent from escaping] Make sure he stays here, like a good soldier.
[The alarm goes off and the crowd gets worried and scared. The robot puts Hogarth down then he walks up to Annie and hugs her.]
- Hogarth: [Shocked] Oh no. [He looks to where the missile is heading. The robot slowly walks briefly to get a closer look. Hogarth turns to the robot] It's a missile. When it comes down, everyone will die. [Annie placed her hand on Hogarth's shoulder.]
- Woman: There it is! [The crowd sees the missile up in the sky as the robot looks at it then he looks to crowd knowing that the missile will kill everyone.]
- Annie: [Hugging Hogarth, to Dean] Shouldn't we get to a shelter?
- Dean: [Shaking his head] It wouldn't matter.
- Iron Giant: I fix. [Hogarth feels surprised and he walks up to the robot.]
- Hogarth: Giant? [The robot kneels down and gently placed his finger at him.]
- Iron Giant: Hogarth. You stay. I go. [He gently lifts Hogarth's chin, and sadly wags his other finger] No following. [He backs slowly]
- Hogarth: [Sadly, and softly] I love you.
- [The robot takes off as Hogarth looks on and Annie comforts him. The robot continues taking off and he went into space as the missile approaches him. He remembers Hogarth's advice "You are who you choose to be" which echoes around his mind.]
- Iron Giant: Superman. [He closed his eyes and the missile hits him. Then, a explosion occurs, and the camera zooms back to earth where the explosion is a bright light in the sky as the crowd looks on in shock.]
[They all cheered that they're all safe and Hogarth felt very sad about the sacrifice of his friend as Annie hugs him comforting him.]
- General Rogard: [To soldiers whilst taking off his helmet] Let's go home.
[Hogarth sadly looks up to the night sky and he will never forget his friend as the camera zooms slightly to the bright light where the explosion of the robot and the missile.]
[The scene changes to a park one month later where we see statue of the giant robot and it says "Dedicated In Memory of the Iron Giant by the town of Rockwell" and Hogarth is playing with the boys. Dean sits on the bench and Annie walks up to him.]
- Annie: Your best work yet, honey. No doubt about it.
- Dean: You think this is my best? Really?
- Annie: Well, [Stammering] ...You know, next to the bug thing. You know, the one with the shovels... [Clears her throat and calls Hogarth] Hogarth, come on, honey. Time to go.
- Hogarth: See you later, guys. [Runs to Annie and Dean]
- Boy: [Waving] See you later, Hogarth.
- Dean: Oh, uh, hey, Hogarth. the general sent this to you. [Gives him a small package]
- Hogarth: What is it?
- Dean: He said it was the only part recovered. He thought you should have it. Hogarth opens the package and it's the robot's jawbolt.
- Hogarth: [Sadly] I miss him.
[Annie placed her hand on Hogarth's shoulder as he looks back the memorial statue then Hogarth, Dean, and Annie leave the park. Then the scene changes later that night in Hogarth's bedroom where Hogarth is in his his bed sleeping. Then suddenly he wakes up and he sees the jawbolt out of the box. He gets out of his bed and looks around. The jawbolt is at Hogarth's bedroom window glowing and beeping it taps the window. He smiled and he opens the window then it lands on the ground.]
- Hogarth: [Softly] See you later.
[The jawbolt rolls away as the camera pans up to the sky then the camera changes to Langjokull Glacier, Iceland we see the robot's parts as the camera pans to the robot's face he opens his eyes and he smiled at the audience, then the camera fades to black, and then the credits roll.]