Gintama is a live action film adaptation of the jump manga by Hideaki Sorachi. The film premiered in Japan on July 14, 2017.
Yorozuya receives two similar and ultimately connected jobs: Elizabeth needs Odd Jobs to find Katsura, and a swordsmith needs the crew to find a dangerous sword named Benizakura. There is more to both requests than Gintoki and his friends thought.
- Shun Oguri as Gintoki Sakata
- Masaki Suda as Shinpachi Shimura
- Kanna Hashimoto as Kagura
- Yūya Yagira as Toshiro Hijikata
- Hirofumi Arai as Nizo Okada
- Ryo Yoshizawa as Sougo Okita
- Akari Hayami as Tetsuko Murata
- Tsuyoshi Muro as Gengai Hiraga
- Masami Nagasawa as Tae Shimura
- Masaki Okada as Kotaro Katsura
- Mikako Takahashi as the voice of Sadaharu
- Kōichi Yamadera as the voice of Shoyo Yoshida
- Takayuki Yamada as the voice of Elizabeth
- Jiro Sato as Henpeita Takechi
- Nanao as Matako Kijima
- Seika Furuhata as Christel Ketsuno
- Ken Yasuda as Tetsuya Murata
- Nakamura Kankurō VI as Isao Kondo
- Tsuyoshi Dōmoto as Shinsuke Takasugi
Principal photography took place in July, August and early September 2016.
The film grossed US$33.3 million in Japan and CN¥81 million in China.
|30th Nikkan Sports Film Award||Best Actor||Shun Oguri||Nominated|
|Best Newcomer||Kanna Hashimoto||Nominated|
A series-type drama was released as an extra material of the movie, adapting "The Okita Mitsuba Arc" from the manga and anime, with a great variety of the original workers from the film as well as many of the actors that appeared on it, including Shun Oguri and most of The Shinsengumi live action portrayals.
There was announced that a sequel is being produced and this will be released on August 17, 2018. Most part of the actors from the first movie will be playing the same role in the new movie. The official title of the movie is Gintama 2: Okite wa Yaburu Tame ni Koso Aru (lit. Rules are there to be broken.). More cast members has been announced, Haruma Miura as Kamotaro Ito, Masataka Kubota as Bansai Kawakami and Midoriko Kimura as Otose.